Happy Days at Huddersfield
Yesterday at Huddersfield was one of those classic away days that everyone who was there will always recall as a top day to be a Rams fan. As I said on twitter, life doesn’t get much better than someone banging a winning 25 yard screamer in the top bin, in front of 4k Derby away fans.
Here’s my thoughts on the game, with some general Rams commentary thrown in for good measure.
- Aside from his sensational goal, George Thorne was imperious (although he should have tried to get booked at the end to miss Rotherham). In my opinion, he is the best player in the Championship by a mile. If he and Chris Martin can stay fit, Derby win the league. What a player.
- Paul Clement is cool as fuck. Every interview he does is honest and engaging. He shows passion on the touchline without a hint of arrogance and he clearly understands modern football (on and off the pitch) to a level significantly deeper than anyone we’ve had at Derby ever. It was nice to see him in his shell suit yesterday, but I do need to investigate those bright blue trainers in a bit more detail before I pass comment.
- Talking of Clement, our new “effective” style of play is a strange thing to behold. To me, most of the second half was in the Derby half but I can only think of one chance (direct from a corner) they had. Conversely every time we attacked we created things and if not for their keeper, it could have easily been a 4 or 5 goal drubbing.
- It’s been well documented that Jacob Butterfield is taking a while to step up. He did ok yesterday and started to show a few glimpses of his technical ability. I think he just needs to impose himself a bit more on the game. For me he’s sometimes too happy to pass an easy short ball than do something himself. I guess that’s just confidence or maybe the weight of his price tag. He’s definitely a player, but he needs to start believing it.
- Weimann’s second half performance was by far his best in a Derby shirt. A constant nuisance and at the centre of Derby’s many lightning fast breaks. It would have been great to see his 50 yard pop at the empty net at the end go in.
- Scott Carson is a great signing. He seems to have that Shilts thing of being in the right place all the time and just killing dangerous moments. It was obvious to compare yesterday’s back three with last season fiasco here, but there is no comparison.
- What is it with Huddersfield’s catering? Last year they were doing 3 pies for £1 after the game this year they were doing anything for a quid (pies burgers hot dogs etc). Shocking inventory management.
- Momentum is building and you can see all the Derby players love it. The goal celebrations and George Thornes celebration at the full time whistle tell it all. Good times indeed.
Let’s make sure nothing silly happens against Rotherham next week, then it’s the axis of evil double header that is QPR and Forest. Nine more points anyone? On this form you wouldn’t bet against it.
Come on you Rams!