World Soccer – DCFC season preview
As a quick post, herewith a sneak preview of our unedited contribution to next months World Soccer magazine, season preview supplement.
Just to be clear, the questions are generic and the idea is that you answer in around two sentences. Thus there’s not too much scope to wax lyrical.
Here we go with our replies regarding Derby County :-
1. How would you describe last season? It was like a log flume. We slowly gathered momentum until we reached the heights of 4th place in November, only to plummet down the table with an atrocious run between December & March. We recovered slightly in the end but were ultimately very lucky to stay up.
2. What are your realistic hopes for next season? At the time of writing we have 7 new signings and the purse strings have been well and truly cut. If they gel, there’s no reason why we cant make the play offs. If they don’t, Nigel Clough will have to be held accountable.
3. Who was your club’s biggest hero last season? – Up to December Kris Commons was on fire & the best player in the division. However overall it would have to be Shaun Barker. Injured & unable to train for the majority of the season, he put in some biblical performances in key victories over Leeds and Swansea to ensure our survival.
4. And the biggest villain? – No Question Stephen Bywater. Not content with a string of vital errors and the embarrassment of his “modern art installation” (google it!), he then launched a string of thinly veiled jibes at Nigel Clough via Twitter. We now have 5 keepers ahead of him and he’ll hopefully be a bad memory soon.
5. Is there a young player people should look out for? – In terms of our academy, then Jeff Hendrik (midfield) and Callum Ball (striker) should get themselves established in the first team squad this year. Generally, watch out for our new Keeper England U-21 Frank Fielding, he’s a superstar in the making.
6. What was your favourite song/chant last season? – Last season it seemed that long European type chants with a complex tune but no words were very popular. Lyrically we’re not great but “we’re the black and white army” to the guitar riff from the White Stripes 7 nation army is a personal favourite.